The Maha Mrtyunjaya Mantra
ॐ त्र्य॑म्बकं यजामहे सु॒गन्धिं॑ पुष्टि॒वर्ध॑नम् ।
उर्वारुकमिव बन्ध॑नान् मृ॒त्योर्मुक्षीय॒ मा ऽमृता॑त् ।
OM tryambakam yajāmahe sugandhim pushtivardhanam |
urvārukamiva bandhanānmrtyormukshiya mā.mrtāt ||
We worship the three-eyed One (Lord Siva) Who is fragrant and Who nourishes well all beings; may He liberate us from death for the sake of immortality even as the cucumber is severed from its bondage (to the creeper).
1. This Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra is a life-giving Mantra. In these days, when life is very complex and accidents are an everyday affair, this Mantra wards off death by snake-bite, lightning, motor-accidents, fire-accidents, cycle-accidents, water-accidents, air-accidents and accidents of all descriptions. Besides, it has a great curative effect. Again diseases pronounced incurable by doctors are cured by this Mantra, when chanted with sincerity, faith and devotion. It is a weapon against disease. It is a Mantra to conquer death.
2. It is also a Moksha Mantra. It is Lord Shiva’s Mantra. It bestows long life (Deergha Ayush), peace (Shanti), wealth (Aisvarya), prosperity (Pushti), satisfaction (Tushti) and Immortality (Moksha).
3. On your birthday, repeat one lakh of this Mantra or at least 50,000, perform Havan and feed Sadhus, the poor and the sick. This will bestow on you long life, peace and prosperity.
4. Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra is a which has power to heal any disease,if someone is suffering from any incurable disease or mental suffering chanting this mantra will provide immense relief.
5. It’s a lifesaving Mantra and should be chanted with sincerity, faith and devotion. Best time to chant is early morning hours (Brahma Muhurta), between 4.00AM to 6.00AM.
6 . Maintain a comfortable sitting posture while chanting mantra, Face east or north during mantra chanting.
7. Make a practice to chant Maha mrityunjaya Mantra before driving/ leaving your house/trekking/ boarding a fight.
By Swami Sivananda (www.dlshq.org)
OM Namah Shivaya!